Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Horrible Flu bug of 2011

The boys and I do not get sick very often. Levi has his bouts of Croup but overall we are pretty healthy. A few months ago Ryan left town for a week on a work trip. The day after he left Levi woke up vomiting (all over my bed). Awesome! He was better in a day or so and then Luke started vomiting, luckily not on my bed. Everyone was better by the time he got back and it wasn't too terrible.
Last Sunday Luke started vomiting just in time for Ryan to leave town the next morning. I really thought it was just another 24 hour stomach bug. I was very wrong. He was sick for 3 days, however, the last day was not bad at all. Wednesday morning was looking good until we went to Hy-vee and Levi vomited on the floor within 2 minutes of walking in the store. Levi proceeded to be sick for 4 days. He was unable to keep any food, water, or gatorade down the whole time. On friday I decided to take him to urgent care because I was concerned about dehydration. My concern was warranted because he was very dehydrated. They attempted to start an IV to run fluids two times with no luck. We decided to go with Zofran and small sips of water. This worked great and he started doing better. Saturday and Sunday he felt pretty yucky but was able to keep fluids down. Monday he finally woke up feeling good and full of energy. Ryan felt terrible on Saturday evening and woke up Sunday vomiting. He slept the majority of yesterday and is feeling a little better today.
I am thankful that Liam and I have avoided getting the worst of the bug. The last thing I need is to be out of commission for a few days. I hope the flu bug leaves and doesn't return

2 comments:

Enzo Garza said...

UGH!!
Thankfully the worst of that bug bypassed Liam. We all know it's because his powers are maturing. Yup, Liam's got super powers.

Amanda said...

He does have super powers! He's awesome like that!