Monday, July 26, 2010

Today is the day..

Today I will be making my own laundry detergent. After researching on many different websites and talking to others who make their own detergent I have decided it is worth a try. I found a very simple recipe that I plan to use.

Powdered Laundry Detergent

1 Fels-Naptha soap bar (I replaced the Fels-Naptha bar for Ivory soap because I could not find Fels-Naptha in our local stores and Ivory Soap is cheaper. The reviews I found said it is just as effective.)
1 Cup Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax

-Grate soap or break into pieces and process in a food processor until powdered. Mix all ingredients. For light load, use 1 Tablespoon. For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 Tablespoons. Yields: 3 Cups detergent. (Approx. 40 loads)

I have decided to start with powdered detergent because it is easier and faster to make. If all goes well with the powdered detergent I may try the liquid detergent just so I can do a comparison on the two.


No comments: